Rogier van den Berg
ir. Rogier van den Berg
Rogier van den Berg (1975) is trained as an architect and works within Zandbelt&vandenBerg on architecture and urban planning and design from the stage of the conceptual design to execution.
Rogier van den Berg has been working over the last twelve years as an urban planner, architect and consultant on a range of projects. Besides this he has been Head of the Department of Urbanism at the Amsterdam Academy of Architecture from 2008-2013.
Rogier van den Berg has been commissioned by national, regional and city governments, private parties and the more complex public-private partnerships. He is an experienced planner with a strong conceptual background. Having worked on longterm projects that involve conflicting interests Rogier van den Berg is an experienced mediator between people and is able to formulate crisp and clear (collective) objectives. His international experience and professional collaborations made him a teamplayer with a good sense for cultural differences. Last few years he has been ever involved in sustainable urban planning in the ‘Global South’.
Rogier van den Berg worked among others in Britain, France, U.S.A, Russia, China, Brazil, Mexico, Surinam, Ghana, Finland.
He has been responsible among other for:
- Redesign of an existing office building into Rotterdam University for 2500 students and 500 employees.
- Almere Benoordenhout, a sustainable urban plan for 4.200 dwellings and business park
- Comprehensive urban plan for 200 dwellings in Best (under construction), including public space design.
- Villa for an art collector in Hoek van Holland (built, 2008)
- Masterplan for a New Town near Beijing
- Several comprehensive regional plans for the Province of South-Holland, 2005-2009
- Development of methodology ‘Rosetta’ for measuring quality of the urban environment.
- Cityplan and development strategy for the development of the city along the polluted river Tom, Municipality of Kemerovo, Russia, 2009
- Spatial-economic strategy for accomodating 100.000 new jobs in the New Town Almere, 2011-2012
- Slum upgrading strategy for favela Heliópolis São Paulo
- Design of a school on Bonaire
- Redesign of a Parkinggarage in The Hague
Besides his work at Zandbelt&Vandenberg Rogier van den Berg has been regularly invited to lecture, take part in debates and in juries. He is also initiator and chairman of the foundation StedenbouwNU (UrbanismNOW).
Follow his BLOG on www.smartcitystudio.com